Did you know that you can recycle your old mattress? We believe that mattress recycling is essential for the preservation of our local environment. As our state’s population continues to grow, so does our waste. By recycling our old furniture or mattress, we are helping to keep bulky and hazardous materials out of our landfills.
At Mattress Depot USA, we not only help to educate our customers on the right mattress, but also how to recycle their old one through our Mattress Recycling Program. There are several options to choose from and recycling your big, old bulky mattress is easier than you think. Check out our FAQs on mattress recycling or ask any of our Sales Associates.
Why Should I Recycle My Mattress?
Mattress Recycling Facts:
- Over 30 million mattresses are sent to landfills across the country each year.
- Mattresses range in size from 27 to 60 cubic feet and average 60 lbs.
- Mattresses decompose slowly, often taking over 80 years to break down.
- Mattresses absorb hazardous materials and store flammable pockets of air.
- At Least 90% of your old mattress can be recycled
Where Do the Parts Go?
- Foam, cotton and felt from mattress padding can be repurposed into carpet padding.
- Steel from metal springs can be melted and repurposed.
- Wood is sent to a chipper and repurposed to landscaping mulch.
- All of these components, once broken down can be sold to prospective buyers for new goods and products.
What Are My Options?
There are several mattress recycling options in the local Western Washington area to choose. From
- We can help! If you purchase a new mattress from Mattress Depot USA, we can dispose of your old set for $15 per piece. Ex: 1 mattress and 1 box spring = 2 pieces = $30.
- Take your old set to a recycling facility. Recycling fees vary between $10-$15 per piece. See our “Who we work with” section for more information.
- Recycling Center Pick up. Some recycling centers will pick up your old mattress set for a fee if you are unable to transport it to the facility yourself. Fees vary depending on how many pieces and distant they must travel. These fees vary from $25/piece.
- Sell your old mattress! Many students and transitional housing need your old or gently used mattress. You can try to sell your old set on websites like Craigslist or apps such as OfferUp and LetGo that make posting your old set super easy.
Mattress Recyclers & Resources
2301 Dock Street, Tacoma WA 98421
16910 59th AVE NE, Suite 9, Arlington WA 98223
NW Furniture Bank
117 Puyallup AVE, Tacoma WA 98421